Monday 9 July 2012

Covering a Mount/Matt

Sometimes, the colours of mount-board available just don't suit certain pieces of work. I think calligraphers especially have this problem, as the paper is often as much a part of the work as the calligraphy & any decoration. Black or white paper, & hand made papers usually look more streamlined if the mount is covered in the same paper as that used for the lettering.

It's really quite easy to do....



an extra little strip on the inside is especially important when using dark/coloured paper
~ if the mount shows underneath it can be quite unsightly, but this helps disguise it.





we could stop there, but now & again, an extra layer of sheer, gauzy tissue
adds another dimension ~ in this case
japanese sanwaa tissue, with gold & silver flecks in it.



you could actually cut the paper flush to the mount at the external edge, 
especially when the paper is stiff or bulky, as i did below...



don't forget to fold the paper tight against the mount before you glue
for  a nice clean edge


This is the finished piece I showed in the earlier post here


3 comments:

BeOdd said...

Love your blog Suzi!...just up my street. I have just taken the plunge myself, so I needed some inspiration. Your banner was very appealing so I clicked on it and here I am!I can see a lot of thought has gone into setting it up.I shall return :)

sam brightwell said...

This looks lovely, hun.
It reminds me of the handwritten tutorial you sent for framing the wonderful piece that you gifted me (Dance the old ways) - which I have not framed yet because I have felt utterly daunted about tackling it up until now. Every time I see it in your sidebar over there, I have a little inward leap of joy, to know that I have the original. But I would like to frame or mount it now, properly, so that I can enjoy it as it should be.

Suzi Smith said...

D'ya know sam..... i was just looking at the pics of that yesterday to see if any were good enough to print from & wondered if you'd ever got it done! I'd totally forgotten i'd scribbled out some notes for you!

Try it on a small mount just cut from any old card first.... just to give yourself an idea & a bit of confidence... its exactly the same for a big piece... the most you can damage is the sheet of waterford you need to cover it with... any mess-up on the mount itself won't show once its covered.

xo :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...