Friday 2 October 2009

My Story

The long version for those who want to know... i'll do a short one for everyone else soon!

My calligraphic journey began nearly 20 years ago (gasps, noooo it can't be that long) I started a night class taught by Sue over at The Creative Spirit when my daughter was a baby. I was hooked from the start, and soon started attending workshops all over England with Sue... wherever we thought we could get the best tuition. Whereas many enjoy calligraphy purely as a hobby, I knew that I eventually wanted to take it further.

I studied with many 'names' on the calligraphy circuit, but the following made the biggest impression:
Summer schools with Michael Clark, Ann Hechle, Jilly Hazeldine, Ewan Clayton &  Katrina Pieper.
SSI Northern Advanced Training scheme with Richard Middleton & Sue Hufton.
And Peter Thornton for workshops & summer schools.... who I thank so much. He taught me more than he will ever know.

My biggest learning curve was when I started teaching calligraphy... having to analyse & explain how & what I was doing. Oh, those first classes must have been so bad.... but people kept coming back; a fair few of my earliest students were still coming until I stopped the classes 5 or 6 years later. I had a spell of teaching teenagers, and I still teach occasional workshops for calligraphy groups.

As far as qualifications go, I passed the City & Guilds Adult Education Teaching Certificate, gained the Intermediate Certificate in Calligraphy from CLAS (Calligraphy & Lettering Arts Society) and became a CLAS Accredited Tutor.

more to follow soon!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...