Tuesday 27 May 2014

Wedding Vows to Frame

Do you remember this that I showed you a while ago (here)? Now that it has been gifted, I can show you the full version.


To stop the masking tape damaging the surface of the paper when i remove it, i stick it onto my desk (or my jeans or the back of my hand) first to remove some of the tackiness, before putting on the paper


I build these mini-masterpieces up with several layers of watercolour, sometimes i vary the effect by using a flat brush or by adding gestural marks and gold powder. 


This was a large piece to write out, with two distinct parts. Although I had an idea of how I wanted it, I typed each part out in a font that echoed the style I thought I might use, then fiddled around with the proportions until they balanced…. then I just wrote the first column, letting it go how it would. Then I measured & ruled in the top lines for the 2nd part. It very nearly worked first time too!


I've blurred out the names, but once I knew I was going to do another version, I used this to play around with some possible effects. If this had worked, I'd have used a spare scrap to play on. In the first version, there was no variation in the bottom few lines, but it needed some weight at the bottom to anchor it & balance with the other side. That's when I added in the ruling pen over the top…. and here is the final version….


It's on a full sheet of Saunders Waterford Hot pressed paper, which is 76 x 56 cm / 22 x 30 inches… I added crop lines for the framer, to cut through some of the outer diamonds & left a few little notes to my client in the margins which she decided to keep!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...