Monday 11 August 2014

Favourite Baby Quotes

Personalised gifts for when a baby is born form a large part of my work… and Christenings too. Over the years I've built up a fair collection of quotations, but the same few tend to get used again & again.
At some point I transferred all my handwritten quotes onto computer. Well, not all, but the ones that fitted themes I write out frequently for people…. It's far easier to give people a list of themed quotations to choose from when they don't know what to say.


Then suddenly my "baby" list vanished! Into thin air. No amount of searching or turning of stones made any difference, the baby quotes have gone. And then I remembered doing a bit of 'sorting out', *sigh*… they were supposed to be with "children"… except they're not….*another sigh*

I don't photograph every single bit of work, especially when the style & layout is similar in many cases.
It's a good job too…. i've just looked & I have 4,842 pictures in my calligraphy file! Admittedly there's more than a few that could be deleted, but there's so much I don't have records of either.

~Babies are angels whose wings get shorter as their legs get longer~

I needed to make some suggestions for a recent customer, so started to trawl the internet & compile another list. I found some that were in my original collection;


~Babies are special people just waiting to grow

~A parent holds their child’s hand for a while, and their heart forever

~A baby fills a place in your heart that you never knew was empty.

~Babies fill the world with love

And a few more that I might use;

~A baby makes love stronger, the days shorter, the nights longer, savings smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten and a future worth living for

~A new baby is like the beginning of all things, hope, a dream of possibilities - Anonymous

~To be in your child's memories tomorrow, be in his life today - Anonymous

~A child has a special way of adding joy to every day.

~A baby is born with a need to be loved and never grows out of it~
This one is, without a doubt, the most frequently chosen baby quote!

A couple more favourites I tracked down:

WHERE did you come from, baby dear ?

Out of the everywhere into here.


Where did you get those eyes so blue ?

Out of the sky as I came through.


What makes the light in them sparkle and spin ?

Some of the starry twinkles left in.


~ George MacDonald

When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies. And now when every new baby is born its first laugh becomes a fairy. So there ought to be one fairy for every boy or girl. ~James Matthew Barrie, Peter Pan

The first sentence of the last one by JM Barrie, was in the very first concertina book that I ever sold!


~Babies are little bits of stardust sprinkled from heaven~

This, and variations such as, 'Babies are little bits of stardust scattered from the hand of God', are popular for Christenings. Whilst looking for more quotes I came across 
'Babies are bits of stardust blown from the hand of God', attributed to Baretto



I loved this bit of lore that I found;

The old Irish, when immersing a babe at baptism, left out the right arm so that it would remain pagan for good fighting.


Nothing like hedging your bets eh?!

If anyone has anymore baby or child quotations, I'd love to hear them if you'd like to leave a comment!

2 comments:

Annick said...

This is one I like:

Every birth
makes the heart
of the world
bigger and warmer.
(by Herwig Verleyen)

He's a Belgian writer/poet
Like your blog !
Annick Blockx

Suzi Smith said...

That's lovely Annick… Thank you :-) I shall look him up & see how translations come out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...