Tuesday 29 May 2012

Captain Corelli Quote ~ Those that truly love...

So... two people have tracked me own in a fortnight... both previous customers, both wanting a piece of  work done as a wedding gift. I suppose I am not hard to find, but isn't it funny that this should happen now, so close together, when it is over 6 years since I closed up shop and when i am in the area!

On the other hand, earlier in the month, at the new moon, I set the affirmation that I am once more, serious about making more income from what i do.... so maybe not so funny after all, just proof that affirmations & intent have an effect!!



I was asked to write out a passage from Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres... this extract about what love is, has become quite a classic for wedding readings. Even though it is years since I have written it out, i found that I pretty much knew the words off by heart... quite dangerous for a calligrapher, as it is easy to write what you think you know, instead of what is actually there!


The plan was to present the gift as a scroll, which the recipient could then frame at a later date. I used a handmade cotton rag & banana paper from Khadi. This is a decent weight & looks interesting when rolled up, as well as being great to write on. I went for good old walnut ink which works so well with this paper... and being a combination of natural colours, they suit most homes. This is often a consideration when people buy for someone else... luckily i love natural!! The ribbon is threaded through slits cut at the bottom, then turned up & glued... it doesn't show at the back.

various prints & original scrolls are available
or just get in touch> suziscribbles at yahoo.co.uk

This last part would make a piece of work on it's own!  As this is the bit that carries the main message of the passage, I used different letterforms to add contrast & emphasis.... the petals across the bottom help to balance and anchor the whole thing, as well as being relevant to the words about blossom falling. The credit across the bottom, matches the couples' names & wedding date across the top.


All wrapped up with matching tissue & ribbons, it makes a pretty present! It's easy to post something like this in a postal tube.... so if you'd like a custom order for something along these lines just email me>  suziscribbles at yahoo.co.uk

overall, the approx size is 12 x 17 inches, 
this can be trimmed to fit a frame at a suitable size 
~ it will require a custom made frame ~

This is the adaptation i was given for this one... but if you look around the internet it is easy to find the original:

“Love is a temporary madness; it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part.

 Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of eternal passion. That is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. 

Those that truly love have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two.” 
Captain Corelli's Mandolin ~Louis de Bernieres

6 comments:

sam brightwell said...

I love this - your work and the reading. I selected this piece for my sister's wedding, and read it at the wedding for them. They loved it, as Chris is a tree surgeon, and they felt the tree analogy worked really well for them. What you've done with it is really lovely.
Thanks for putting me in your blogroll. I wonder whether I should have one again. Maybe I will. I have 'found' a few of your fellows through my own wonderings of late, like Paper Ponderings, and La Dolce Vita. Both lovely people. Have you discovered Fiona's friend, Susan Bowers (Tracemarks blog)? Also a bookmaking paper-lover.

Suzi Smith said...

Thanks sam, i still have our collaboration to post too!!
Thats why i like the blog roll & stuff... it might look cleaner & more streamlined without, but i like the sociability & sharing & being able to skip about. Will look for susan, thanks.

Sam Brightwell said...

I know what you mean, but I get so distracted by having all that stuff on my site. I'm a real minimalist. And I start to feel the pressure of comparing myself to others. However, I do feel a bit antisocial by not having one. But I have a nice Feed Reader that handles all my feeds really well, and lets me flag things & save for future reference, which helps for research for Paperphilia. Hmmm. Thinking.
Because I do a lot of sharing via Twitter, I've added a Twitter Update widget, which might make it a bit more sociable. Can send you a link for susan's blog, if you like.

Suzi Smith said...

lol... fair enough... i'm quite able to ignore it / get distracted in equal measures!!

Just twigged paperphilia is you, haha... have just looked at your twitter & there... distraction or what? i'll just find the link when im in the mood, thanks tho x

*hugs* &and i'm not being sympathetic :-)

Rose said...

This is so wonderful! How could they not but love it! *hugs*

Lisa said...

this is truly a fabulous work of art...how perfect Suzi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...